A Bit of History...
The Cartford Inn (known to older locals as “th’fooard”) took its name from the ford which people travelling by horse and cart would use to cross the river Wyre before the building of the bridge.
The main inn building is believed to date back to the 17th century, although the first record of ‘The Cartford Inn’ was in 1839. The coaching house was then part of a farm owned by Squire Robert Wilson France of Rawcliffe. It provided hospitality for coach travellers using the ancient roads and stables for their horses. Later in the 19th century, licensee James Stuart would offer fishing supplies and picnics for people enjoying the surrounding countryside.
Ownership of the property changed many times throughout the 20th century. The inn also became in need of some care and attention. The Inn was in a poor state in the 1950’s and 60’s when the eccentric Mrs. Robinson (still remembered by locals as ‘dirty Annie’) was proprietress.
The property was a popular destination in the 70's and 80's. It continued to be the local drinking establishment, known for its real ales. Throughout the 90's and early 00's its wider appeal largely disappeared.